Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Growing up Amish I was taught that music is wrong. Any music with a beat is considered the devil's music. As a little amish girl I loved to listen to music every chance I got and it would stir emotions inside of me. I was told that these emotions were from the devil, but I didn't believe it because it made me feel alive and happy! I wanted more! I really couldn't understand what the big deal was. I would argue that the Bible talks about Angels blowing trumpets and making beautiful music, but I was told that was not really for me to understand and that I just needed to obey. The only musical instrument we were allowed to have was a harmonica, and that was only played when sitting around and relaxing with family and friends.  The Amish can play the harmonica very well. I remember listening to my Uncles play and I loved it.
 Here in the world I live in now, I get to do so many things I would never have been able to experience otherwise. I love and get to enjoy music but am way behind in recognizing bands and singers, because I never heard the names before. I am very proud when I can have the correct answer to the question: What band plays this? or who is this singer? Yay! I am learning.

Free from Amish Rules

No comments:

Post a Comment